Built by architect Henri Zipcy and inaugurated in 1921, this cinema theatre is an emblematic place in the history of Paris.
It was the film Cléopatra (a popular success of 1917 - silent cinema era) that inspired the founder of the place on the Egyptian-style architecture of this room.
Registered as a historical monument (façades and roofs), it was transformed into a nightclub in 1983.
Closed in 1988 and abandoned, it finally reopens in 2013, completely renovated.
Today, 3 very atypical theatres each week offer an eclectic programme, between"art and test" cinema and auteur films.
Historical Egyptian architecture:
The main room, redone as in 1921 in a neo-Egyptian style, was named after the Egyptian director Youssef Chahine. Room No. 2 evokes the tombs of the Valley of the Kings with its starry ceiling; room No. 3 has a vaulted archway in red tones. A bar with Art Deco lights was also installed, as well as a showroom.
Beyond a cinema, it is a real place of curiosity that deserves to be known!
170 Boulevard de Magenta, 75010 Paris